This is the perfect example of when I try to make a meal for the whole family. My husband, Noah, isn't plant based so I try to come up with recipes where I can make one meal but alter small things/ingredients to accommodate every one. I try to keep the base of everything plant based and then add in for him. Brown rice pasta is a staple in my family in result...it makes for a great nutritious yet hearty base to work from and then I mix up the details. For this particular (Father's Day!) dinner, I made this dish in Noah's favorite style. I used his favorite sauce, but I mixed it with an organic sauce that I love that has a little less sodium (about half and half). I always roast a vegetable to mix into the pasta for me (veggies on the side for him) -- Noah loves those amazing yellow tomatoes from the farmer's market and asparagus. Finally, I use nutritional yeast and vegan cheese for me (and my brother who is visiting!) and shredded mozzarella for Noah. See the recipe below and let me know if you have any tips for "family style" eating.
Ingredients (All Organic)
- 2 boxes of Jovial Brown Rice Pasta (Click here)
- 1/2 jar Rao's Marinara Sauce (Click Here)
- 1/2 jar Organico Bello Marinara Sauce (Click Here)
- 2 large yellow tomatoes (or red, if you prefer!)
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast (Click Here)
- Sprinkle vegan cheese - Click Here - to taste (plant based version)
- Sprinkle organic shredded mozzarella cheese to taste (non plant version)
- Sprinkle sea salt to taste
- Coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Rinse the asparagus and then chop the ends off
- I place the asparagus in a bowl and then add some coconut oil and mix it around. Then transfer the asparagus to a cooking sheet to place in the oven
- Let the seasoned asparagus cook for about 12 minutes or until they start to brown
- While the asparagus is in the oven, I fill a pot with water, add a tsp of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt to the water while it's boiling. Bring the water to a boil before adding in the brown rice pasta and leave for 10 minutes on low heat. Slice tomatoes while the pasta is boiling and heat up the sauce on low heat.
- The key to making brown rice pasta delicious is once the 10 minutes are up turn off the stove and let the pasta sit in the water for 1 min. Then strain and place in a bowl.
- Take out the asparagus and squeeze 1/2 lemon over all of them.
- Add sauce with seasonings (sea salt and nutritional yeast to taste) and split pasta so you can add mozzarella to one and the vegan cheese to the other. Sprinkle cheese on top and mix in so it melts.
- Top off with sliced tomatoes and cooked asparagus. Enjoy!