Although I try to cook at home as often as possible, that isn’t always the easiest with a new baby. That’s why I put together a couple quick and easy meals to prepare at home (or order in), which personally kept me energized and satisfied. I recommend cooking just once and making enough for 3 meals, saving you some much needed time and energy! Cutting back on calories can leave new moms feeling sluggish and down so it's recommended to consume an additional 500 calories a day while breastfeeding.
Brown Rice Pasta or Brown Rice with Veggies (All Organic Ingredients)
- Gluten free brown rice pasta or brown rice
- Sautéed mushrooms cooked in coconut oil
- Sautéed zucchini cooked in coconut oil
- ½ avocado
- 1 Tbs. of unrefined coconut oil into cooked pasta
- 1 Tbs. of nutritional yeast
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
The avocado in the pasta sounds odd, but it actually tastes quite delish. The healthy saturated fat keeps you satiated longer while adding a nice creamy texture to the gluten free pasta. Whole grains like brown rice pasta and brown rice help to keep your energy levels up.
P.S (Click here) for my absolute favorite Vegan Pesto recipe, this is great to pair with the above pasta dish.
Brown Rice Sushi, Edamame and Salad
- I order: 2 brown rice avocado cucumber sushi rolls, 1 vegetable roll with brown rice, and a side of steamed edamame in shells
- I make: Salad with romaine lettuce, cucumbers with ginger dressing (recipe below).
Homemade Ginger Dressing (All Organic Ingredients)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 Tbs. organic, unpasteurized miso
- 1 inch peeled and grated gingerroot
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. filtered water
Blend all ingredients together until dressing is smooth. This dressing will be chunky and thick.