About 6 weeks after giving birth to my son, my appetite kicked in full force from breastfeeding. I craved foods that I don’t typically eat, like eggs and chicken. I’m a believer in listening to your body and what it needs, this is especially true during pregnancy and breastfeeding because you need to consume more calories than usual.
Here are 3 simple lunch dishes that really worked for me post pregnancy, and hopefully you’ll find them helpful and fulfilling as well. It’s important to note that these are merely suggestions and may not necessarily work as well for you and your body’s needs. I always say…Don’t listen to what I have to say: simply try it for yourself to see if it works for you.
Mixed Salad (All Organic Ingredients)
- Romaine lettuce
- Yellow or orange tomatoes
- ½ large avocado or 1 small
- Add organic Grilled lemon chicken or Grilled wild salmon
- Homemade salad dressing: tsp. olive oil, tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar, ½ lemon, sea salt, 1 tbsp organic Dijon mustard and ¼ cup nutritional yeast.
I recommend eating a huge salad at least 1x a day. I swapped out spinach and kale for romaine lettuce because raw spinach and kale can upset your little one's stomach in the beginning months. Slowly introduce raw greens and if you find them to be an issue, cooked greens may be a better option since they are not as difficult to digest. Note that red tomatoes can also upset a newborn's stomach because they are very acidic. If you love tomatoes, yellow and orange ones are less acidic and easier for babies to digest!
Avocado Toast (All Organic Ingredients)
- 2 slices of Ezekiel bread toasted or gluten free bread
- 1 tbsp coconut oil spread on toast
- 1 large avocado cut into chunks
- Nutritional yeast on top of avocado
- Add a large yellow or orange tomato on top with sea salt
- Optional: add 1 organic egg over-easy on top of avocado instead of the tomato
This is by far one of my all time favorite things to eat. If you follow me on Instagram (click here), you are very aware of this already. The thicker you make the avocado, the better - more filling and just delicious. Don’t be afraid to eat an entire avocado! Its one of the healthiest fats you can consume and you will not get fat from this. I promise!
Brown Rice (All Organic Ingredients)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Sautéed mushrooms in 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ Large zucchini sautéed in 1 tsp coconut oil
- Sea Salt and nutritional yeast to taste
This dish is simple and delicious. Whole grains like brown rice will help increase your milk production. Mushrooms and zucchini are two vegetables that did not upset my babe’s stomach, so hopefully they won’t upset yours either. As you can see, I put coconut oil on everything. It is the absolute best oil to cook with because it does not lose its nutritional value when heated like olive oil does.